Thursday, December 13, 2012

Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas

I found this recipe on Pinterest and decided to give it a try. I figure I have so many recipes pinned on Pinterest I should at least try a few of them. :)

I fixed this last night and my family loved it! I liked the idea of just throwing everything together and sticking it in the oven while I worked on other things.  I threw everything in the pan and stuck it in the oven and left to pick the boys up. My 14 yr old daughter was home and took it out when it was done. All I had to when I got home was put it on the tortillas and feed it to my hungry crew.
 

I made slight changes from the original recipe using what I had on hand. Here is what I made.
 
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2  pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
  • 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with oregano
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced 
  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
  • 12 flour tortillas
  • Toppings such as cheese, sour cream, and guacamole – if desired
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken strips in a greased 13×9 baking dish.
  2. In a small bowl combine the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt
  3. Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.
  4. Next add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and stir to combine.
  5. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve on tortillas with desired toppings.

Next time I make it I think I will increase the spices since I added more chicken and 1 more pepper. My husband and kiddos all said it was spicy enough though.  We topped ours with sour cream and cheese.   It does not get the same crispness as the fajitas get in the skillet but I liked the convenience.  There was enough to feed my family of 5 and for my hubby to have leftovers today.

4 comments:

  1. That looks really good. I should try to get together a Pinterest menu for my 2013 goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im putting this on the menu for this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it. Our family really enjoyed it and I liked just being able to throw everything in the oven while I was working on other things.

      Delete